Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Spider Update

Despite the bad karma I created last week by trying to feed my spider friend several bees, I went at it again on Monday. With two Dixie cups, I caught a big fat bumble bee that was busy on a flower and threw it into the much fortified web.

What a battle! I could see the spider struggling to find a spot to inject it's venom; he finally settled on the section between the bees' eyes. It took the spider, which was half the size of the bumble bee, about five minutes to subdue it enough to drag it back into the funnel. That was that, I thought.

Last night I checked on the spider and found he had tried to deposit the dried up corpse of the bee out of its nest, but one of the bee’s hooked legs caught on the outer edge of the web. Here he dangles:

No comments: