Friday, June 15, 2007




Sometimes it's easy to forget how young my 6.5 year old son really is. I go about my day thinking he has a good grasp on everything but the most complex theories, and then he surprises me with a bit of amusing naiveté.

This morning he turned on the radio while he was getting dressed and told me he liked the song. I said it was by Johnny Cash.






"I heard the other day that he was lost."



"Lost? What do you mean?"



"Another song said he was lost."



"Hmmmm. Maybe you heard someone say he 'lost his life' -- he died a couple of years ago."



"But he's singing right now."



"It's a recording."



Silence for a few seconds. "Oh."



"Heh, heh, Grady did you think when you hear a song on the radio that the singer and band are at the radio station playing it?"



"Yes."











I kissed him and told him I loved him.


And then in the hallway, I heard my 4.5 year old son, Liam, singing, "I fell into a burning ring of fire..." Not sure if it was the name Johnny Cash or Cash's music on the radio that reminded Liam of that song snippet.

It was a fun morning with my boys.

No comments: