Monday, May 19, 2008

Mother, Do You Think They'll Drop The Bomb?

My wife made a kick-ass compilation CD for her sister on Mother's Day with all songs having the mom/mama/mother theme. The song she chose to lead off the album is just outstanding. It's Roger Waters live in 2007 singing Mother, with incredible female backing vocals. It sends chills up my spine several times throughout the song. When Roger starts singing, when the diva at 2:22 starts singing "hush now baby, baby don't you cry", and at 5:00 when she sings "Mama's going to keep baby healthy and clean."

And, how GREAT does Roger sound and look?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw Roger Waters in Portland back in 2001 (I think) and it was outstanding. He's always got the best musicians around him. Have you seen any clips of the Pink Floyd reunion for Live 8 - impressive stuff. I wish they could get over any differences. But I think David Gilmour has moved on in a big way.

Rob said...

I just checked out the Live 8 clips. I have to admit the clip I posted had a lot more grandeur to it and I think Roger sounded a lot better.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just stumbled across this blog looking for a download of this performance...

So I don't know you, and I'm in no real position to comment, but it's a bit of an odd choice of song for Mothers' Day, isn't it? I mean, it's all about how Pink/Waters felt stifled by his mother's love. It's quite bitter, really.

I mean, lovely song - obviously - but not one I'd sing to my mother, unless I really wanted to hurt her!

Anyways, great vid, thanks for blogging it...