Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Embellishments


There are two ladies who are always chatting at the commuter rail station where I get the train in the morning. This morning, when one approached the other, she said, "I'm having a TERRIBLE morning."

"Why, what happened?"

"A wheel came completely off my car."

"What?! How? It happened this morning?"

"Yeah, like five minutes ago. I pulled into a driveway to turn around, and a front wheel just fell off."

"How did you leave it?"

"I just parked it there."

The friend then asked what she was going to do, so the victim said, "Well, I took a picture of it on my iPhone and I'll mail it to my insurance agent and have AAA tow it."

I was thinking, wouldn't she have stayed with the car and seen this through instead of continuing on the train?

The friend said, "Can I see the picture?"

"Sure."

And this is where her story unravels.

I heard the friend ask, "Is this the window here?" Yes. "And is that the bumper?" Yes. "Where's the wheel that fell off?" Right there.

"That doesn't look like a wheel."

"Oh. Well, it might have been part of the bumper that fell off."

I just had to shake my head.

No comments: