Friday, October 17, 2008

Big Papi Broke My Seat

I attended last night's Red Sox game, where they came back from a 7-0 deficit to finally win on J.D. Drew's walkoff double in the bottom of the ninth. The change in atmosphere at Fenway Park could not have been more dramatic once Big Papi hit his 3-run homerun to bring us to 7-4 in the bottom of the 7th.

For 6 innings we watched Tampa Bay clobber us and the Sox doing nothing in return. I've never heard Fenway so quiet.

Then, the electricity was turned back on and we never looked back. Good thing too, because I jumped up on my chair to watch Big Papi's homerun clear the right field wall, and then jumped up and down in excitement. My seat collapsed under me, but it didn't matter because nobody in Fenway sat down for the next 2 1/2 innings.

Here is my godfather, Richard, and me about 20 minutes before gametime.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you were there in person! Must have been unreal.

Rob said...

Yes, it ranks definitely in the top 3 of my Red Sox experiences.

My other 2 or 3:

1. Game 1 of the 2004 World Series - just the pomp and circumstance of the flag unfurling over the Green Monster, the fun Dropkick Murphies performing Tessie, snapping a picture of myself high-fiving Ben Affleck, and, of course, the Red Sox victory.

2. Watching Clay Buchholz throw a no-hitter Labor Day weekend 2007. I watched it on T.V. up in Maine. I was playing cards and drinking beer with some family friends and the game was on in the background. Around the 6th inning, we started hearing the announcers mention the no-hitter. We progressively became more glued to the T.V. and seeing the young pitcher achieve that major feat and then seeing him hugged like a little kid by Big Papi was just over the top grand.

3. Attending Game 2 of the 2007 World Series and seeing Schilling and Papelbon shut down the Rockies for a 2-1 win. Not only was it probably Schilling's last game he'll pitch in his MLB career, but I saw Papelbon get his first pickoff after surrending a basehit in the 8th. It didn't hurt that I had consumed MANY $7 Fenway beers (note: they're now $7.25 per light beer and $7.75 for IPA or Stella), and I was in a raucous mood. The only thing that spoiled that night was that I left my camera with all the great World Series pictures from Game 1 the night before and Game 2 in the cab because of my drunken state.