Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Pet Peeves

Pet Peeves

OK, so I posted what was making me happy last week. Time to balance it out. (Took my cue from My Nacho). My pet peeves as of late:

1. No matter what I do, my ficus plant on my desk is always in miserable condition. It’s about 18 inches tall and never has more than about 40 leaves on it. When I bought it a couple of years ago, it was about 12 inches tall and had many hundreds of leaves. Miracle Grow? More like Mundane Survival.

2. At the four-way stop sign intersection near my home, folks making right turns never wait for their turn. I wait for my time to proceed through the intersection, and meanwhile 2 or 3 cars sneak in that right turn, getting in front of me. Rude.

3. Alias. I’ve been a fan of this show for a couple of years, but I have to say the premier was B…O….R….I….N….G. No more for me. On the other hand, 24 was riveting.

4. My last haircut. Deanne, who Grady, Liam and I have been going to forever, either cut one section on the back right side of my head too short, or left it too long. Either way, it sticks out making me look disheveled.

5. The dry indoor air of winter. Man it wreaks havoc on my nose. I used to get bloody noses all the time as a kid, but now it’s just dried boogers that won’t come out with any amount of blowing. Yup, prime picking season.

6. Oregon Congressman (D), Earl Blumenauer. I heard an interview with him on KINK 102 FM this morning. He’s over in India helping manage some of the disaster relief efforts. Right before Les Sarnoff began the interview, KINK ran a news story about the California mudslides and how 11 people had been killed. When Les asked Earl how his trip was going, Earl said, “You know, I just heard that news story you ran, and although the loss of life there is tragic, here there aren’t dozens, nor even hundreds of people dead. There are thousands.” I thought it was in bad taste to try to dismiss the mudslide tragedy with worse news.

7. Drivers who throw cigarette butts onto the road. I mean, c’mon. Would you throw a gum wrapper out? Probably not; that would be littering, right? Then, what is it about a cigarette butt doesn’t smack of litter to you? Hell, a gum wrapper will degrade faster than that filter. Just. STOP.

No comments: