Sunday, November 25, 2007

Thoroughly Enchanted


In honor of my son's 5th birthday, we asked him what he'd like to do to celebrate (having already decided we wouldn't have a peer birthday party). He asked if we could stay in a hotel with a pool and see a movie. So, over the last couple of weeks, we searched for a Boston hotel that would have space on this Thanksgiving weekend to no avail. Colleen was using her Marriott frequent traveler points, so choices were a bit limited to begin with.

We ended up in Providence, RI just two blocks from my office's satellite location, so it was fun to know my way around that area. The boys enjoyed the indoor pool 3 different times in the 24 hours we were there, so we Liam got one of his wishes.

The other one was a movie. Thank you to Joe Morgenstern on the Wall Street Journal for publising a glowing reveiw on Friday of the new Disney movie, Enchanted, which stars Amy Adams and Patrick Dempsey. I had seen an adverstisement on T.V. for the movie, but I have to admit I'm biased against movies that feature a T.V. star. So, I wrote off Enchanted until I read Joe's review.

We took the boys to the Providence Place Mall for a 4:30 showing of Enchanted and I went in with just medium expectations. Well, the movie really touched me. It's about an animated princess, Giselle, played by Amy Adams, who is dispatched into the real world of NYC, where she is "rescued" by a single dad, Patrick Dempsey. Her animated prince, Prince Edward, is on his way to try to bring her back to the animated world, but in the meantime, the Princess Giselle falls for McDreamy. What is so wonderful about this movie is Amy Adams' performance as the eternally peppy and positive princess. She's possesses such a vulnerability that it's hard not to fall in love with her right on a parallel path to the one that McDreamy is taking. I don't know...for those 2 hours, I was swept away...by a Disney movie. Gag. But, I am rating this movie in my top 10 movies of all time, along with:



  • True Romance

  • Monsoon Wedding

  • Born Into Brothels

  • The Pianist

  • Life is Beautiful

  • Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf

  • The Breakfast Club

  • Moulin Rouge

  • The Big Chill

No comments: