Thursday, May 6, 2004

Cheers, friends

All of this hype leading up to the finale of Friends is reminding me of the finale of Cheers back in 1993. It is a good memory. It happened the night I got back from a week in Myrtle Beach with all of my fraternity brothers and college friends. About six of us went over to a friend’s apartment and cracked open a couple of beers to watch the final episode. It fit our moods that this beloved show was ending, for it was a day or two before graduation. We were to leave the purple shadows of the lawn.

For the next couple of days, I was trying to soak in all of the things I loved about college. I took a private stroll along the lawn and touched the statues of Homer, Washington and Jefferson. I visited a couple of classrooms from my first year classes. And, I spent a couple of lazy afternoons at the fraternity house on Preston Place, drinking beer and playing basketball. It was all bittersweet, and it kind of makes me a little sad now. Almost like something you really want that's just out of reach.

No comments: